AGGRESSIVE & COMPREHENSIVE REPRESENTATION HANDLING RETALIATION CLAIMSEvery employee deserves to work in a safe and productive environment. But when a worker speaks up against an employer that engages in unethical or illegal business practices, they should never have to worry about retaliation. Unfortunately, it happens all the time throughout Southern California. Most of these incidents go unreported because many employees feel powerless and never take action. My name is Jeffrey Rager and I am a Los Angeles retaliation attorney. Intimidation tactics by an employer are never acceptable. California labor laws prohibit employers from terminating employees who make a complaint about harassment or discrimination. The attorneys at Rager & Yoon – Employment Lawyers utilize an aggressive and comprehensive approach to help protect the rights of each client.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF RETALIATIONNot all retaliation cases are the same. Depending on the employer, there are a wide variety of retaliation tactics. As a blanket definition, retaliation is when an employer terminates an employee that makes a complaint of harassment, discrimination, illegal or unethical business practices. Over the years, the Los Angeles retaliation attorneys at Rager & Yoon – Employment Lawyers have helped clients recover the compensation they deserve in the following types of retaliation cases:
- Wrongful & excessive disciplinary action
- Negative performance reviews
- Wrongful demotions
- Lack of pay raise
- No pay increase for performing a physically more demanding job
HOW WILL AN ATTORNEY HELP A LOS ANGELES RETALIATION CLAIM?Cases revolving around workplace retaliation can become complicated, and they often devolve into “he said, she said” types of situations. At Rager & Yoon – Employment Lawyers , our job is to empower you and give you a voice in these situations. The goal of a Los Angeles retaliation claim attorney is to:
- Conduct a complete investigation into your claim of retaliation
- Gather any evidence that can prove the retaliation has occurred
- Obtain statements from coworkers or supervisors related to the case
- Look into the employer’s past history of terminations
- Work with trusted economic and financial experts to properly calculate your losses
- Negotiate with all parties involved to reach a fair settlement on your behalf
- Fully prepare to take the case to trial if necessary
HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO FILE A LOS ANGELES RETALIATION CLAIM?Properly understanding how long you have to file a retaliation claim can be challenging. We strongly encourage any person who thinks they had been retaliated against by their employer in Los Angeles to work with one of our attorneys as soon as possible so we can get started with the filing process.
- Any retaliation claim involving discrimination or retaliation in violation of state or federal law must be filed within six months after the alleged incident(s) took place. However, there are various exceptions to this six-month period, and we need to talk to you about these after we analyze your case.
- For complaints regarding retaliation, because an employee took time off work due to being the victim of stalking, domestic violence, or sexual assault, these claims must be filed within one year from the date of the alleged retaliation.
- Retaliation claims related to equal pay violations need to be filed within two years from the date of the alleged retaliation.
- Finally, retaliation claims based on health and safety code violations reporting need to be filed within 90 days from the day the retaliation occurs.