Nobody should ever have to experience discrimination of any kind in the workplace. However, as the #MeToo revolution has swept through the United States, it has become painfully obvious that discrimination based on gender is prevalent in many people’s workplaces. At Rager & Yoon – Employment Lawyers, our qualified and experienced gender discrimination attorneys are ready to help you secure the compensation you need if you have experienced this type of discrimination at work.
California takes gender discrimination in the workplace seriously
When we turn to the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), we can see that they describe “sex discrimination” as treating an applicant or employee unfavorably because of their sex. Federal law goes on to state that discrimination against an individual due to their gender identity, including discrimination based on a person’s transgender status or sexual orientation, is illegal.
California law expressly forbids discrimination based on a person’s gender, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
During the latest reporting year in the United States, the EEOC brought more than 23,000 total charges against employers in this country for discrimination based on sex. This accounted for nearly 33% of the total charges brought by the EEOC.
When it comes to employment law, gender discrimination is forbidden when it comes to every aspect of employment. This includes discrimination when making decisions about:
- Job assignments
- Fringe benefits
- Any other terms or conditions of employment
How might this type of discrimination look in the workplace?
There are various ways that gender discrimination can show up in the workplace. This can include:
- Unequal pay: Studies show that women only make $0.80 on the dollar compared to their male counterparts in the same job.
- Promotions and job positions: The “glass ceiling” has long applied to women who watch their male counterparts secure better job positions and promotions. This also occurs to those who express genders other than their biological gender.
- Pregnancy discrimination: Both state and federal laws protect pregnant women when it comes to workplace accommodations and medical leave after giving birth to a child.
- Harassment: Nobody should ever be harassed in the workplace due to their biological gender, gender identity, or gender expression.
- Retaliation: No employee should ever experience retaliation due to their biological gender or gender identity. Retaliation can include demotion, pay cuts, disciplinary actions, or job termination.
Let us help you get through this
If you or somebody you care about has experienced discrimination in the workplace based on gender, seek legal assistance immediately. At Rager & Yoon – Employment Lawyers, our qualified and experienced team is ready to investigate this employment law violation so we can secure any compensation you are entitled to, which can include:
- Recovery of lost wages
- Interest on unpaid wages
- Reinstatement to your job
- Court costs and legal fees
- Pain and suffering damages
- Possible punitive damages against the employer
If you need a Long Beach gender discrimination attorney, you can contact us by clicking here or calling us at 310-527-6994 for a free consultation. We believe in protecting everyone in the workplace, regardless of their gender.